History of the Museum

The Galloway railway station was originally a Canadian Northern Type C station built in 1911. It was located 28 km west of Edson and served as home and office to station agents. The Galloway Station was donated by CN to the Edson and District Historical Society in 1975. It was moved to its present location in Centennial Park and converted into a museum. The Galloway Station Museum officially opened to the public in 1981.

For the next 30 years the Edson and District Historical Society maintained and expanded the museum collection on behalf of Edson and area residents. With the combined efforts of the Edson centennial committee federal provincial and municipal grant funds, generous donations from businesses and individuals and the hard work of the Edson and District Historical Society plans were set in motion to more than double the size of the original station house. Construction began in May 2010 with the museum’s official opening on September 25th 2011.

 

The completion of Galloway Station Museum Expansion was made possible through these generous donators and grants:

Infrastructure stimulus fund

Municipal sustainability initiative

Community Facility enhancement program

Alberta municipal infrastructure program

 

 

Legacy Sponsors

  • Shell Canada Ltd
  • Johnson and Herbert Construction Ltd
  • Canadian Natural Resources Ltd
  • Western Financial Group
  • Rotary Club of Edson
  • Edson savings and Credit Union
  • Switzer’s Drugs
  • Brian Janish Enterprises Ltd
  • Edson Expediting Services Ltd
  • Cardium Vac Services Ltd
  • Margert, Rathgeber, Barford and Williams
  • Gateway Honda
  • Kara Hill Sawmill

Heritage Sponsors

  • The Corser Family
  • The Linford Family
  • Brian and Sonja Boyce
  • Clayton and Val Dearden
  • The Hallwell Family
  • Hazel Switzer
  • John Switzer
  • David and anne Mahoney
  • John (Stan) E Gelmici
  • Ivan & Tammy Strang
  • Mitch & Betty Donkin